CORONAVIRUS: LOCAL FAMILIES IN CRISIS
BBBSCO will stay connected and support our matches and their families. Our Match Support Specialists will continue to serve as a hub for local families, facilitating positive one-to-one relationships and providing resources for those affected by loss and uncertainties related to COVID-19.
A mentor assures young people that someone cares, will be there through challenges, and help them see the strength in themselves. Mentoring has been shown to improve the futures of mentees through better grades, achievement of higher levels of education, and improved relationships. Essentially, young people with a mentor grow personally and have better social and economic opportunity than those who do not. Yet many kids in Central Oregon never have this opportunity.
For those who are mentoring, the experience not only offers the opportunity to have fun in our community and see the world through a youth's perspective, but builds leadership and management skills. It is an empowering way to touch the future.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Oregon serves the Bend, Redmond, Madras, Prineville, and La Pine areas. We are a part of the nation’s largest mentoring network solely supported by donors and volunteers. Be someone who matters to someone who matters. Please join us to make a difference in a child’s life.
Learn more at an upcoming informational Zoom meeting!
Lunch & Learn: 3/11 from 12:00-12:30pm
COVID - 19 Updates
In accordance with Governor Kate Brown’s statewide Two-Week Freeze, youth programs may continue operating under guidance issued by the Oregon Health Authority. BBBSCO will stay connected and support our matches and their families. Our Match Support Specialists will continue to serve as a hub for local families, facilitating positive one-to-one relationships and providing resources for those affected by loss and uncertainties related to COVID-19.
The following is a list of changes we’ve had to make until we reach the other side of this. We can get through this together!
- BBBSCO is open and continuing to serve families while maintaining all public health guidelines.
- Our Match Support Specialists are available, as always, to offer support and conduct regular Match Support Contacts with Bigs, Littles & Parents/Guardians.
- Matched Bigs & Littles are able to have in-person outings if all parties agree; matches should be following social distancing recommendations and mask requirements.
- If Bigs are video-communicating with their Littles via Facetime, Zoom, Skype etc., please ensure to do this through the parent/guardian’s device, but if that is not possible, please communicate with the parent/guardian when you will be video-communicating with your Little. In normal times, a Big communicates with the parent/guardian of the Little about when and where their outings will take place. The same rules apply during this unprecedented time.
- BBBSCO continues to accept applications for Bigs & Littles.
- To help support BBBSCO during this difficult time, please consider making a donation or become a monthly donor by clicking on the “Donate” tab.
- For updates on our program or current resources, please visit us on Facebook (@BigBrothersBigSistersofCentralOregon) and Instagram (@bbbsco).
- For updated community resources throughout Central Oregon, please click on the Google Documents below. - En Español tambien!
During this pandemic, we are doing what we can to stay connected and support our matches and their families. We are still available, although some things have been put on hold. To keep you connected with your Little, check out our activities for Bigs and Littles to do together, as well as the Big Discount List.
Nominate a Big With A Badge
BBBSCO is thrilled to announce our Bigs with Badges Program. Our goal is to match 10 children this summer with a mentor who is a badge wearing employee to help bridge the gap between law enforcement and the community. If you are, or know a person who is in any type of law enforcement, a paramedic or is a fire fighter, please nominate this potential Big by calling 541-312-6047!
Ashton Eaton's PSA
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the promise and power of youth.